Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rhino's Breakfast Of Champions

As many of you know I truly enjoy cooking. I also enjoy cooking for my 2 dog's.
I have never been one to cook and create meals from recipes. I have watched the occasional cooking show while running on the treadmill but that is really the extent of my exposure to any idea's in creating my own recipes. I never really write anything down either, and often I just cook from memory of the previous dish I made. But it got me thinking, why not share my recipes with other people when it comes to cooking for my dogs. In my earlier blogs I talk about the importance of Omega fish oils and Pro biotics for your dogs, and because I already give my dog both pills every day, I don't add any fish oils like cod liver or salmon oils to my recipes, but by all means please add them if you are not using omega fish oils or pro biotics in your dog's home made prepared meals or kibble. Here is what you will need. 650 grams of Ground Beef, 3 Cups of plain Oatmeal, 3 Eggs, hard boiled diced up, 1/2 Cup of raw Carrots finely chopped or grated 1/2 Cup Peas Thawed From Frozen and 1 Cup of Low Fat Cottage Cheese. Cook the ground beef in a pot till its lightly browned and slightly still pink in center. Prepare oatmeal according to packaging I like to buy Organic Oatmeal but you can use any kind of oatmeal so long as it is plan with out sugar additives. Boil 3 eggs. Stir and mix together the beef, oatmeal, eggs, carrots, peas and cottage cheese and serve. You can add 1 tsp of cod liver oil if you want to make sure your dog is getting it's omega fish oils if you are not giving them an Omega 3 vitamin. I hope you like this recipe and that your dog's enjoy it as much as mine do! I like using Cottage cheese not only in my own diet but as well for my dogs. Cottage cheese is high in protein and is known to have benefits for fat and weight loss. Studies have shown that higher protein consumption was related to increased fat loss in women.
I love Cottage cheese and it is a great alternative to fattier proteins such as meats. Cottage cheese is not only rich in protein, but it also provides amino acids that your body uses to build muscle and other tissue. Cottage cheese is rich in calcium. If your dog is on a diet, and he tends to get hungry at night or before bed time, there are other benefits of cottage cheese. Eating cottage cheese before bed can be helpful for controlling your appetite. This is because cottage cheese contains a type of protein called casein, which your body digests at a slower rate than other types of protein. According to research published in the March 2011 edition of "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," casein is more filling than other types of protein, such as whey, a popular protein supplement. Because of the slow digestion and high level of satiety, cottage cheese may keep you from getting hungry during the night and encourage you to eat less in the morning. I discovered within the first week of us bringing home Rhino, our now 12 week old German Shepherd puppy, and brother of Remy that he loves hard boiled eggs. I like to eat 3 hard boiled eggs every morning, but I only eat the egg white's and throw the yolks out. Well a few weeks ago I thought rather than waste the yolk, why not see if my dog's will eat it and like it. They absolutely love egg yolks! Eggs are a great source of protein and fat and low fat for dogs. So then I decided to get creative and made up a breakfast meal for my dogs using the egg yolk's from my morning breakfast. Eggs can be a good source of protein, and is a great early morning meal, so why not fuel your dog's as well with eggs for breakfast! Now as I mentioned earlier I buy most of my ingredients in Organic. But Organic can become costly. However when it comes to Eggs this is one place where buying organic can make a big difference. If you're trying to improve your diet and eat more responsibly, make the switch from commercially produced eggs and reap the benefits of organic eggs. It's an easy way to make your kitchen a healthier place in the new year. Pasture-raised organic hens produce eggs that have 2/3 more vitamin A, three times more vitamin E, seven times more beta carotene and twice the omega-3 fatty acids compared to commercially produced eggs, according to a study conducted by "Mother Earth News" and reported in the October/November 2007 issue. Make the switch to organic eggs, and you could more than double the nutritional value you get when you eat an egg.
Eggs are little protein powerhouses that tend to get a bad rap because they're high in cholesterol, but organic eggs tend to have 1/3 less cholesterol than commercially raised eggs, according to "Mother Earth News," making them a healthier choice. Even better: Organic eggs have 1/4 less saturated fat than commercially raised eggs, according to the "Mother Earth News" study. Reducing the amount of cholesterol and saturated fat in your everyday diet can decrease your risk of cardiovascular problems, including heart disease. Fewer Toxins Eggs that come from chickens who've been fed organic food are less likely to have pesticide residue than commercially produced eggs. Trace amounts of pesticides can be particularly hazardous for children and pregnant women, so if you're feeding people in those two categories, organic eggs may be a good choice. Eggs from organic chickens also come without added hormones or antibiotics, which some commercial farmers may use to treat poultry to increase their production. When tasters compared the flavors of organic eggs and commercially produced eggs, they noticed that organic eggs had a stronger flavor and color.
I love carrots and thankfully my teething puppies love crunching on Carrots. Carrots contain more than 490 phytochemicals (plant, or fruit derived chemical compounds). Beta-carotene is one of the most antioxidants in the carrot, and helps the immune system to target and destroy cancer cells in the body. It also prevents DNA variation and fat oxidation, and protects cells against free radicals. The carrot contains calcium, potassium, vitamin B and C. Calcium helps prevent the narrowing of the blood vessels resulting from contracting of the muscular wall of the vessels. Potassium promotes regular heartbeat. Vitamin B improves metabolism. Vitamin C protects cells against free radicals and strengthens blood vessel walls. Vitamin A in carrot is important in vision; a deficiency in vitamin A will inhibit the reformation of rhodopsin and lead to night blindness. It also improves coughing and high blood pressure. Enough sun exposure everyday helps vitamin A take effect. .  
In the morning's I usually have hard boiled eggs and Organic Oatmeal. There are so many benefits of Oatmeal in the morning. I buy most of my foods and ingredients in an Organic version. However, Organic and non-organic rolled oats have the same nutritional facts. They both contain equal amounts of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants and are particularly high in B vitamins, phosphorus and iron. In 1 cup of cooked oats, there are approximately 150 calories, 6 g of protein and 4 g of fiber. Besides price, the difference between organic rolled oats and their conventional opponent is what is not found in organic oats; intense chemicals, additives or genetic modifications. Organically grown oats are produced using organic farming methods such as crop rotation, green manure fertilizers and natural pest control like predation, instead of synthetic chemicals and fertilizers. In order to be labeled organic, rolled oats must meet the minimum standards established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment